In the article Tips for the newly arrived to Sydney, part 1 we mentioned a food estimate. In this article I will show a food budget for a couple for $70 a week.
The figure is low when compared with the vast majority of travel blogs, where the high price of Sydney is mentioned. I am surprised too, but experience shows that it is very feasible.
How to estimate
We have to consider the following items to budget per week:
- Number of meals each one eats generally
- The couple’s usual diet
- One treat for each one per week
- The cost of lunch during work is outside the budget
- The neighbourhood where you live and the low-cost supermarkets close to your location
- In case you don’t have a low-cost supermarket close, add the cost of transportation
- Count 7 breakfasts, 7 afternoon snacks1 and 7 dinners per week
- Count the number of servings of a product’s package. For example, a liter of milk is 4 servings so a couple who consume milk at a breakfast spends half a liter of milk or 2 servings.
- Having a backpack, bag or cloth bag to avoid extra charges on plastic bags
- Think of all the food pyramid
The food list
The list is based on an ALDI grocery shopping. I recommend it for low prices and quality products. This is the food that was purchased in a week for $702:
- A fresh chicken $6.41
- 2 liters of light milk $1.99
- 1 can of 420g of beans $0.75
- 1 loaf of whole wheat bread $2
- Light cheese slices 500g $2.99
- 2 kitchen paper towel rolls $2.49
- 10 reusable cloth wipes $0.99
- 1 kg of jasmine rice $2.29
- 2 ALDI plastic bags $0.30
- Multipurpose cleaner 750 ml $1.69
- 1 kg of tomatoes $2.49
- Trash bags $4
- 1 kg of sweet potatoes $1.43
- 2 avocados $4
- 1 kg of frozen garden salad $2.79
- 1 kg of bananas $2.77
- 250g of cream cheese $2.49
- 2 liters of orange juice $2.99
- 1 kg of yoghurt with blueberries $3.39
- 250g of strawberries $1.49
- 1 melon $4.99
- 500g of yoghurt with fruits $1.79
- 200g of sliced mushrooms $1.99
- 750g of pears $1.99
- 800g of light fruit cake $3.29
- 125g of blueberries $2.49
- 2 liters of liquid washing soap $1.49
- 500ml of ketchup $1.39
Finally, keep in mind that certain products will last more than a week. Examples are the universal cleaner, the dishwasher detergent, the cleaning wipes, the coffee, the cocoa powder, etc.
1 In Argentina it is customary to take a snack at 5 o’clock and that incurs more expenses.
2 We had already purchased some products that are lasting a few weeks. So we combined food for different menus with products that last only a week.